Zulip's API has a powerful framework for interactive bots that react
to messages in Zulip.
Running a bot
This guide will show you how to run an existing Zulip bot
found in zulip_bots/bots.
- An account in a Zulip organization
<yourSubdomain>.zulipchat.com, or a Zulip organization on your own
- A computer where you're running the bot from.
Note: Please be considerate when testing experimental bots on public servers such as chat.zulip.org.
Go to your Zulip account and
add a bot. Use Generic bot as the bot type.
Download the bot's
zuliprc configuration file to your computer.
zulip_bots Python package to your computer using
pip install zulip_bots.
to install the latest development version of the package.
Start the bot process on your computer.
zulip-run-bot <bot-name> --config-file ~/path/to/zuliprc
~/path/to/zuliprc with the path to the
zuliprc file you downloaded above).
To talk with the bot, at-mention its name, like
You can now play around with the bot and get it configured the way you
like. Eventually, you'll probably want to run it in a production
environment where it'll stay up, by deploying it on a server using the
- My bot won't start
- Ensure that your API config file is correct (download the config file from the server).
- Ensure that your bot script is located in
- Are you using your own Zulip development server? Ensure that you run your bot outside
the Vagrant environment.
- Some bots require Python 3. Try switching to a Python 3 environment before running